We all want end-to-end encryption in our messaging apps but unfortunately not all developers offer it in their applications. It has taken a while but Facebook Messenger now offers this.
You need to be on the latest version of Facebook Messenger if you want to enable end-to-end encryption or 'Secret Conversations' as they are known in Facebook Messenger. Also it is not enabled by default and you will have to enable it for each conversation. Use the guide below to do this.
What does this mean?
End-to-end encryption means any conversations you have in Facebook Messenger are encrypted between one device and another so the conversation can't be accessed by anyone other than the sender and the intended receiver.
At the moment there are some limitations and the encryption option doesn't work for everything. It works for messages, pictures and stickers, but not group GIFs, videos, messages, voice and video calling or payments.
- Open Facebook Messenger
- Choose a contact you wish to speak to
- Press the Information button - located top right (if using iOS click on the contact name at the top of the screen)
- Select Secret Conversation
- Select TURN ON
- Select OK
- You will now see a new chat window that has end-to-end encryption enabled
As it is not enabled by default you will have to do this for each conversation.
Get 25% off any VPN Plan with IPVanish VPN, using this link
- Access geo-restricted content from anywhere
- Encrypt and anonymise your internet traffic
- No logs of your traffic
- Kill Switch: Kills network if VPN connection is lost
- 7 day money back guarantee